[OSM-talk] presenting the case for open data to local government?

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Wed Oct 16 22:53:01 UTC 2013

Daniel -

I don't have an open data manifesto for you, but a couple of examples of
where government is engaging with OpenStreetMap, which always comes with
some understanding of the value of opening data.

Earlier this year I've done quick research on who's using OSM in gov and
summarized what I found here:
http://openstreetmap.us/2013/04/openstreetmap-in-government/ - this has a
US focus and there is more going on an international level. Robert Soden
(GFDRR/World Bank) and Muki Haklay (University College London) are working
on lining up resources for doing research and writing a paper on OSM for
gov, you might want to connect with them.

Mike's already pointed out the changewithin feed we're using for notifying
NYC of OSM data changes, this is in the context of NYC gov, OSM NYC  and
MapBox collaborating around a building and address import. For me that's an
exciting opportunity to find out how we can use OSM as a geo collaboration
platform for citizens and government.

https://www.mapbox.com/blog/nyc-and-openstreetmap-cooperating-through-open-data/

I've posted a round up of our first community event last weekend in NYC
here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lxbarth/diary/20209

The Canadian mapping agency is using a similar mechanism to maintain CanVec.