[OSM-talk] Timezones (was: Deleting data)

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 10:04:49 UTC 2013

On 19 Oct 2013 09:55, "Frederik Ramm" <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> I've recently deleted a large multipolygon that was tagged
"timezone=GMT+1" or someting like that. I admit that I haven't actually
gone there to check ;)

> The Wikipedia-deletionism-kind would be more like "No matter whether this
feature is there in reality or not, it makes no sense in OSM therefore I'll
delete it". This will be more difficult - it comes not from lack of
information, but from stubbornness.

Actually, I always wondered why timezones were kept out of OSM. I know DST
complicates tagging (it'll be the first thing I abolish when I become World
Dictator), but it seem like a very usefull "political" boundary that I'd
like to have in OSM. Appart from classroom use, I'd love to replace the
unwieldy timezone selector of many programs with a clickable map generated
from OSM. So, do timezones really "make no sense in OSM" ?