[OSM-talk] Timezones (was: Deleting data)
frederik at remote.org
Sat Oct 19 12:15:18 UTC 2013
On 10/19/2013 12:56 PM, Colin Smale wrote:
> So how does that differ from admin boundaries?
Admin boundaries are:
* generally much more useful than time zone boundaries
* especially, very useful for mapping as they are closely related to
other stuff we map, e.g. a road ref will change at the boundary
* not readily available elsewhere
all this together means that even though admin boundaries are
problematic in that they can seldom be surveyed, it makes sense to have
them in OSM.
Time zones, in contrast, are
* orders of magnitude less useful than admin boundaries (most countries
will simply have one time zone for the whole country)
* not useful for mappers
* readily available in shape file form
so why map them?
More information about the talk