[OSM-talk] Timezones (was: Deleting data)

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Oct 19 13:28:09 UTC 2013

Frederik Ramm writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On 10/19/2013 12:04 PM, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
 > > I'd
 > > love to replace the unwieldy timezone selector of many programs with a
 > > clickable map generated from OSM. So, do timezones really "make no sense
 > > in OSM" ?
 >
 > No they make no sense in OSM. Get/make yourself a shape file from
 > official sources and use that. There's nothing surveyable about time
 > zones and nothing mapper-maintainable.

They belong in closedstreetmap.com. That's a repository of information
which isn't surveyable and isn't mapper-maintainable and is already
being maintained by somebody else but which is available with the same
syntax, semantics, and API as OSM. So you can easily render it on a
map, but it doesn't "pollute" (a loaded word, I know) the OSM database.

It exists .... in my imagination.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog