[OSM-talk] Timezones

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sat Oct 19 15:11:49 UTC 2013

On 10/19/2013 10:25 AM, Jason Remillard wrote:
> But, my number one rule is that if there is a individual or group that
> want to maintain a specific set of data in OSM (timezones, ancient
> rail roads, protected zones in the ocean, etc), we should give them as
> much latitude as possible to do it.

I agree with this in general - I freely armchair delete
tiger:reviewed=no ways that are wrong, but not ways that have been
reviewed but don't match imagery.

   I have deleted some local railway=abandoned ways that were long since
buried by buildings or the entire landscape bulldozed down, but found
that they 'grew back'.   So my compromise is to set them as
railway=dismantled.   Thus they are a true OSM historical feature.

   I think most people agree however that OSM cannot realistically
support an unlimited set of historical items in the current database -
they would make editing current physical items very confusing.