[OSM-talk] Timezones (was: Deleting data)

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Oct 21 15:09:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having edited over a thousand of them, I would not be sad to see admin
> boundaries removed from the general OSM database. I think Russ is on to
> something with his "ClosedStreetMap" concept although that is some terrible
> branding so we need another name :) But at the end of the day, we are
> terrible at maintaining such boundaries and very good at breaking them in
> OSM, mostly because they are usually hard/impossible to spot on the ground
> and verify. So people see random lines going through the area they are
> trying to map and either don't pay attention when they touch them or just
> delete them outright. Essentially what we need is the concept of layers. If
> all the admin/timezone boundaries were in their own "layer" and didn't
> interact with roads, rivers, etc in OSM then they would be much easier to
> keep up to date from external sources.

Introducing layers, although difficult to implement, would certainly
simplify editing. Moving admin boundaries and land use polygons to a
layer(s) would simplify basic editing. No more connecting roads to
boundaries and land use edges. Layers could even introduce the concept of
limiting permissions to edit.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch