[OSM-talk] Mapping of multiple-lane toll areas

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Oct 24 13:49:29 UTC 2013

"Martin Raifer" <tyr.asd at gmail.com> writes:

> There is another complication with this kind of lane mapping: At many
> motorway toll areas, not all toll booths are open all the time. Often even
> the allowed traffic direction through the individual booths is changed
> dynamically to meet asymmetric demand!
this is the norm for most toll plazas on the New York State Thruway and
many other US toll roads.

James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com> writes:

> Here's what I did for the Gateway Toll Plaza on the PA Turnpike (I-76):
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/40.90416/-80.49337
>
> I know it isn't perfect, but at least it has the correct # of lanes for the toll plaza.  Till we can a agree on a proper tag for "Toll Tag Only" lanes when there are still "Cash" lanes, I'm betting the routers direct everybody onto the E-ZPass Express lanes.
which is good, but again, we find ourselves facing the problem
of many toll plazas that are _extremely_ reconfigurable; NYS
accepts EZPass in all lanes on the Thruway, but for busy plazas
like Exits 24 and 25, will convert lanes to EZPass-only as needed
for traffic conditions as well as flip their directions.

but it works well for, say, Woodbury Plaza on the Thruway which
introduced high speed EZPass lanes in the recent major
reconstruction, and separated out the north & southbound
cash toll plazas so they no longer switch directions.

this is what we have for Exit 24 of the Thruway right now:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/42.69882/-73.84349

it doesn't fully reflect the circumstances, but current tagging
in OSM can't really capture the things going on here so far as i
know. Exit 24 is extremely busy at rush hour, and the traffic
flow is very directional so the center group of lanes changes
direction twice a day and the number of EZPass only lanes
goes up during the rush.

richard