[OSM-talk] NY Lakes and Ponds project is completed

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 21:29:30 UTC 2013

Hi Russ,

We have been working on the lakes and ponds in MA, and are about to
start working on names.

I have discovered that the GNIS database has the names of lakes and
ponds, but they were not imported into OSM. Only the reservoirs were
imported. If you are scrounging around for lake/pond names, definitely
check out the GNIS database. Also, the GNIS database is what ends up
in the USGS topo maps, so checking the USGS topo maps is equivalent.

Thanks
Jason.