[OSM-talk] Who interprets semicolon in tag values?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Sep 23 13:51:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 05:03:26PM +0200, Jochen Topf wrote:
> We have had an informal convention for a long time to use a semicolon
> (;) in tag values to separate multiple values, for instance
> "ref=I 70; US 40" to denote that there are two numbered roads on a way.
> But most software out there doesn't actually interpret this in any
> special way.
>
> If you know of any software that actually does interpret this specially,
> please tell me. I am trying to get an idea where and how this is used in
> the real world. You can answer here on the list or write to me
> privately, I'll summarize for the list later. Thanks!

I finally wrote down what I found out about semicolons in tag values and what I
think about them. Turns out there isn't much software that interprets them and
where it does, only in special cases. Thanks to all who replied and sorry that
I haven't mentioned every case in my blog post.

http://blog.jochentopf.com/2013-09-23-semicolons-in-osm-tags.html

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298