[OSM-talk] osm2pgsql multipolygon parsing

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Sep 24 09:08:07 UTC 2013

Am 24.09.2013 10:12, schrieb Stefan Keller:
> 2013/9/23 Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Indirectly it is a question of tagging schemas.
>
> To me this is actually indirectly a question of a proper area type!
> See e.g. "Towards an Area Datatype for OSM" from Jochen at SOTM
> http://lanyrd.com/2013/sotm/scpkrr/
+1
But the transition necessary is the same:
IF we could come to a stable, but backwards compatible solution by
step-by-step hardening the current multipolygons it would be easier to
create a new area datatype later converting multipolygons on the fly.

While it is NOT possible overall to convert ways to polygons later (as
you would have to do that tag-based, and have to make sure to duplicate
it if there are line-tags and area-tags on the same way and so on), it
might be possible to auto-convert multipolygons to area; but to do that
multipolygons have to be clearly defined and possible to handle.

The discussion of this thread tackles the problem left for any such
conversion in future: What is the area described by any given
multipolygon with the given tags on inner/outer/relation?

If we could come to a clear consensus about that, and if we could slowly
enforce fixing any problems according to that in the data, then a
conversion to a new area data type could be done with less errors and
problems than it could be done now.

But thanks for the area datatype argument, as it's an additional
argument to strenghten the Multipolygon definition and -interpretation
for the current (or very near future) osm.

regards
Peter