[OSM-talk] Azimuth measurement

colliar colliar4ever at aol.com
Tue Apr 8 13:53:46 UTC 2014

On 08.04.2014 15:44, SomeoneElse wrote:
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> on iPhones you can change this in settings (geographic vs magnetic
>> north) not sure for other devices but my guess is there will be
>> settings as well...
>
> Unless you're in northern Canada I really wouldn't worry about the
> difference between geographic and magnetic north.
>
> Just for a laugh I've looked at the "compass" results from a couple of
> phones (an iPhone and a Blackberry Q10) and an actual compass (piece of
> metal on a stick in a box - remember them?).  Obviously indoors it's
> really not a fair test, but if I point the phones north (which the
> actual compass gets correct) the phones read 268 and 210 rather than 0.

You have to watch out for other factors like metal next to you or even
iron in the earth.

> So perhaps "facing north/east/south/west" is good enough for a bench?

Guess it could be little more precise just by looking at the sun (or
stars with a proper calendar).
This would be another measurement method with an analog watch (display)
and the sun.

So far I did use direction=* mainly with oneway traffic_signals and benches.

cu colliar

Ein Dateianhang mit Bin�rdaten wurde abgetrennt...
Dateiname   : signature.asc
Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
Dateigr��e  : 259 bytes
Beschreibung: OpenPGP digital signature