[OSM-talk] Azimuth measurement

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:21:14 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> On 08.04.2014 11:45, François Lacombe wrote:
> In JOSM, you can then start drawing a way from the bench to your
> reference point. While the unfinished way segment hangs from your mouse
> cursor, it will show the angle at the bottom of the window. Cancel
> drawing that way and type that angle into the tag's value.
> For my needs, this is precise enough.

For the specific case of benches, if you care about orientation you
might as well draw a way instead of a node. It's easyer to map, and
less ambiguous (tag name ? value format ? mapper error ?).

One thing the wiki doesn't specify for way-benches is the viewing
direction (left or right of the way). But following the same
conventsion as for water and cliffs, "view on the right" sounds
intuitive. Somebody should check actual usage and update the wiki.

There may be other usecases where tagging the geometry instead of
drawing it makes sense, but I find it unlikely. One counter-exemple is
roof:shape, but it describes a 3D shape, which the osm data model is
ill-suited for.