[OSM-talk] [Tagging] Tagging natural or informal swimming holes?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Apr 25 13:07:15 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-24 at 23:03 -0700, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> How best should I tag informal swimming areas?  These typically have
> no lifeguard or facilities. An example deep-content site for these
> types of holes is:
> http://www.iforgotthename.com/
>

> In OSM is it best to create an area and tag
> sport=swimming/name=xxxx/access=/fee=no?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sport%3Dswimming

Forgetting the tagging for a moment, is it not irresponsible to be
mapping and thus being seen as encouraging such activities?

Every year when there is hot weather there are warnings not to swim in
lakes and rivers, and these are inevitably followed by reports in the
media of a tragic loss of life.

The last thing OSM needs is to be seen as contributing to such
tragedies.

Phil (trigpoint)