[OSM-talk] Menufy.com added hundrets of stores with payment:bitcoin=yes, which don't accept Bitcoin

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 10:18:31 UTC 2014

On 30/04/2014, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Then the bitcoin aspect is more a tagging issue: they accept bitcoin
>> through menufy.com only.
>
> This is bad mapping. If they really need that information in there, I'd
> suggest payment:menufy=yes, and then ask the Coinmap maker to show those
> markers too.

That seems like the right approach to me. The menufy announcement
makes it clear that those restaurants don't (necessarily) accept
bitcoin, they only accept menufy. If I got a meal there without using
menufy, I'll have to pay "caveman-style" (wow, didn't know cavemen
used used credit cards, high-tech banknotes, or any kind of currency).

But seeing the average quality of bitcoin edits, I won't be holding my
breath for that level of tagging nuances to reach the necessary
audience. Sigh...

Offtopic: I still haven't figured that one out. Why does bitcoin, out
of any other likely interests, attract a combination of enthusiastic
but clueless osm contributors in such high numbers ? What's special
about Bitcoin ? We have plenty of niche enthusiasts in OSM, but they
usually map quite well (at least not worse than the average
contributor/newbie). Is it something inherent in the bitcoin-using
population ? A random fluke ? An observation bias on my part ?