[OSM-talk] Tagging of private roads (Matthijs Melissen)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 13:57:58 UTC 2014

> Il giorno 03/ago/2014, alle ore 12:18, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> I would tag them all with access=destination, unless there are additional signs that forbid entering.
> A "private road" is privately owned and maintained, but you normally may use it to reach the properties facing it as visitor or for delivery purposes.

even more if you are not a car, most of these signs in areas like Italy and Germany are put up against cars to avoid occupying them the usually rare resource parking space.

The general truth is, that you might have to do further research for every individual case in order to put it right. Ownership and right of way are orthogonal and often "private road" refers to ownership and not to  the right of way. Road owners sometimes try to discourage usage of their roads, even if legally everyone is entitled to use it.

cheers,
Martin