[OSM-talk] "Incorrect speed limit" anonymous notes - who is behind that?

phil at trigpoint.me.uk phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Aug 19 14:47:06 UTC 2014

Hi Eric
Thanks for your comments,  I have been having a play with wisepilot and do quite like it.

Pleased to see you are addressing the issues we have pointed out.

I did find the login to osm after i used it, but used with care I found it excellent. It was a quiet time so I was able to stop where the limits changed and was then able to use the notes to indicate the points to split the ways.

The fact I then used them helped, not so easy if it had been someone else.

Thanks
Phil (trigpoint )

On Tue Aug 19 2014 13:58:06 GMT+0100 (BST), Erik Mattsson wrote:
> Hi my name is Erik and I work as a developer at Appello that owns the Wisepilot application. In our latest release (5.1) we've included a first iteration for a report component with the intention to make it easier for our users to report map issues in OSM. Unfortunately the release for version 5.1 was pushed hard to be ready before the summer vacations which led to us not having much personnel here monitoring the feedback we got during the summer vacations. I'm very sorry we didn't get on the issues you've discussed in this thread earlier.
>
> Our intention with this report component is to try to increase the quality of the navigation data in OSM by making it easier for our users to report issues they see while driving. We've got quite a big chunk of users that aren't that "tech savvy" so we want to make it easy for these users to contribute to the map quality while using the application normally. These are users that feel that it's too big a step to go to the OSM page and edit the data directly. This was our first iteration and apparently we have quite a lot of issues to address here.
>
> All map notes users send go through our server to OSM and a copy is saved in our database so we can track the usage internally. We currently allow anonymous posting but since it seems like too many "spam" posts gets created we will try to impose limits that encourages users to register at OSM more. Users can sign in to OSM in the application and if they do the notes are posted as their account. We are working towards increasing the quality of the reports and any feedback from the community is very welcome.
>
> We switched from commercial map data to OSM quite recently(Feb - March) and since the switch we've been working on improving the OSM functionality in our application. This component is just one part of that.
>
> I've tried to read through most of the comments here and have made two small fixes that will be rolled out on our servers later today. Those are to block reports with 0 as speed and that we add a signature stating that the report was sent through us. In the short term we will try to make client changes that enforce some basic spam preventing rules and provides the users with more information about what happens with their reports. We will also look over the imperial/metric situation. As it is now we use the same system as the user does within the application and we did the assumption that users that drives in a country with imperial system also have the client set to imperial. In a lot of cases this doesn't seem to be the case though, so this needs to be addressed.

> [...]

Sent from my Jolla