[OSM-talk] route=road - What's that all about then?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sat Aug 23 10:18:53 UTC 2014

On 23/08/2014 10:55, Christian Quest wrote:

> For the third one, I don't understand it.
> It is a big list (collection if your prefer) of roads, and  I don't
> understand the opening_hours tags.
> What is this supposed to describe ?
>
> Does this mean nobody can drive on these roads except during the
> opening_hours ?

The clue's in the name, I think - "Gritting Priority 1 roads" - it's an
attempt to capture which roads are gritted when it's icy (which in
northern Scotland is most of the year apart from a couple of weeks in
July :-) ).  I'm not convinced that it's best represented as a "route"
relation - in the West Midlands (who have the most extensive OSM
gritting map in the UK, I think) this sort of information is collected
as on this way:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/108519826

Cheers,

Andy