[OSM-talk] online survey about the OSM community

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Sat Aug 23 13:17:19 UTC 2014

Studies and surveys are interesting for a better understanding of our
community, but I'm a bit afraid that the results of this one will be highly
biased by one single thing: language.

OSM is already very english centric and having a survey that is only
available in english won't help understand the OSM community worldwide,
just a part of it.
It would be interesting to have the same survey being done in another
language and compare the results...

> Looking at what they are doing I'd say the information being dug out will
> be of value to the OSM community and help us understand a little more about
> the people who add value to the maps.  It might even help us on the
> retention rate and bring the experience of the average mapper up a little.
> It's also being done fairly professionally and running something like this
> properly costs money, at least its not OSM money.
>
> In an ideal world the way to get a proper random sample would be to select
> OSM mappers randomly then message them.  Hopefully you'd get better than
> 90% response rate to keep it statistically meaningful.
>
> Reality is you might be lucky to obtain a 2% response.  So the next best
> thing is OSM-talk and hopefully he'll get the 1,000 responses which he
> needs to make it statistically meaningful.  He didn't get that many
> have that many average mappers here, the national OSM mailing lists have
> more so it makes sense to make the request to a larger audience.
>
> OSM is difficult in that it crosses so many cultural boundaries but in
> this case I think the cross posting was reasonable to obtain the desired
> number of respondents.
>
> How would you suggest he obtained a large enough random sample?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cheerio John
>

> On 23 August 2014 06:05, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > If you are at least 18 years of age and speak English,
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> The same message has meanwhile been posted to a whole lot of national
>> OSM mailing lists, with an additional "** apologies for cross-posting
>> **" at the top.
>>
>> If you know it is something that you shouldn't be doing, then sticking
>> an upfront apology at the top doesn't cut it really. This is impolite,
>> and disrespectful.
>>
>> Bye
>> Frederik
>>
>> --