[OSM-talk] Adding Wikidata tags to 70k items automatically

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 20:37:06 UTC 2014

On 27/08/2014 17:47, Edward Betts wrote:
> I'd like to annotate these 70k objects in OSM with a Wikidata tag
> automatically.

Perhaps it's worth explaining the benefits of having a link to a
wikidata item on an OSM item?  When this was discussed previously

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2014-June/thread.html#16096

and

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-June/thread.html#70032

I think that it would be fair to describe the reaction as "somewhat
sceptical" (both to the potential benefits of adding the tags at all,
and around an automatic import of them).  Perhaps if someone could give
a concrete example of what these tags could be used for once they're in
OSM, it could help convince the doubters*?

Cheers,

Andy

* Personally, I'm actually fairly agnostic about the process of adding
wikidata tags - I can't really see what I'd use them for myself, but am
open to the possibility that someone could use them for something.
However, an important part of things in OSM is surely that they are
on-the-ground verifiable - wikipedia has articles for villages in the UK
that don't exist, as do the OS OpenData StreetView maps, and people have
added garbage data from both to OSM.  How do we know that the wikidata
items for which links are added are accurate?