[OSM-talk] Adding Wikidata tags to 70k items automatically

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 23:13:26 UTC 2014

Simon,

My understanding is that this is only looking at a very small subset of
wikidata (based on a list of wikipedia categories). As such an API would
only give you a partial view (70k) objects. We want to match as much as
possible and therefore people will continue adding wikidata tags to OSM
manually. At which stage you end up with some wikidata tags in OSM, an API
based on Edward's work, and no doubt lots of overlap and wasted effort.

In summary I'm not sure an API is a good strategy. Instead I support the
proposed import.

Regards,
Rob

P.s. I consider myself part of the UK local community and, without
rereading the old thread, I felt there was some support and some against,
with the topic fizzling out. Its clear that a locality check resolves some
of the issues and I'm pleased to see this has been included. Thanks for
pulling this together :-)