[OSM-talk] Adding Wikidata tags to 70k items automatically

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Aug 28 08:09:00 UTC 2014

Jo, I believe you are thinking too far and I suspect of use cases that
don't actually exist for the wikidata tag itself, for the *:wikidata
tags perhaps.

The wikidata tag gives a one to one mapping between an OSM object and
its wikidata entry (I know that this is a bit of a simplification in
that you could and will have multiple OSM objects for the same wikidata
entry, but that doesn't actually change any of the arguments) an API
could be as simple as a file generated once per per day and which could,
naturally, take manually added tags in to account.

@Mateusz I believe that adding missing wikidata or OSM entries is
orthogonal to the question. You don't get around that in any case. What
you do avoid by not tagging in OSM is maintenance (given that OSM
objects are not necessarily a persistent reference to a single real
world entity). And maintenance would include adding a wikidata tag to
new objects in OSM, which for the next years likely going to be the
largest source of errors.

Simon