[OSM-talk] Adding Wikidata tags to 70k items automatically

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Aug 28 12:15:43 UTC 2014

On Do, Aug 28, 2014 at 01:23:21 +0200, Janko Mihelić wrote:
> There's one fundamental question about wikidata tags; how do you tag
> multiple objects that have the same wikidata tag? For example, a wikidata
> entry about a church and a connected monastery. When I was writing the
> Wikidata proposal on our wiki, I've put a rule that only one object in OSM
> can have the same wikidata=* tag. So when there are more ways in OSM that
> represent one element in Wikidata, we should put them in a relation and put
> the wikidata tag in the relation.
>
> Since then I changed my opinion a bit, but I'm not sure if we should just
> put wikidata=* on all ways, or if we should invent a new tag,
> wikidata:part=* and put that tag on all the objects.
>
> The problem with putting wikidata=* on several objects is that people could
> come to an idea to put wikidata=Q3947 (entry about houses) on all houses,
> or wikidata=12280 on all bridges. That's why I think wikidata:part=* is the
> best way to deal with this, and make multiple wikidata tags with the same
> value invalid.

There is no way to make something like that "invalid" on OSM. So if only a few
people would use the same "wikidata" tag on multiple OSM objects, everybody
using those tags will have to deal with it to capture those cases. In the end
you make things more complicated with the "wikidata:part" without any real
benefit.

One should hope that people who start tagging generic terms will get slapped
anyway. Tag naming will not prevent that.

And I am glad you changed your opinion on the relation thing. :-)

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298