[OSM-talk] Introducing "Fix waterway direction"

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Aug 28 20:38:40 UTC 2014

On Thursday 28 August 2014, Peter Barth wrote:
> ]...] But as I'd
> like to get a mostly complete waternetwork for another project, I'm
> planning on extending the challenge at some point.

If you are hoping for a complete network right from the OSM database
without post processing you have a long way ahead of you...

> > In terms of usability it would of course be good if you could see
> > the direction in MapRoulette so you can verify the data without
> > actually loading it in the editor.
>
> Serge suggested this, too. But I did never understand what the
> direction would tell the user? Does it denote the current way's
> direction or the supposed correct direction? How would the user know?
> And my biggest concern is, that in many cases you need aerial anyway
> to be really sure.

Well - cases like

http://maproulette.org/#t=waterways-direction/8300823723664637270

are pretty clear cut - no need for other data.  If you'd be able to
switch to a background map with relief rendering like the cyclemap even
less clear cases can often be properly determined.  It is also a matter
of motivation i think - if you can clearly see the error you are much
more motivated to fix it.

Of course showing the direction of the other waterways around would be
very useful - but probably difficult to implement.

I would always show the currently mapped direction - so the potential
answer 'this is not an error' matches that rendering.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/