[OSM-talk] Adding Wikidata tags to 70k items automatically

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 02:47:53 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 6:45 AM, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> will, at most, only make this thinking need to be done sooner. We'll have
> to cross this question even if this import doesn't occur.

Just to provide some background:

Wikidata has a notability policy:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Notability
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Notability/Inclusion_criteria
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Notability/Exclusion_criteria

But this notability policy only pertains to whether there should be a
Wikidata item for some object, much like we in OSM ask if things like
administrative boundaries or flight paths should be included in OSM or not.

Then, Wikidata also has what are called statements, with properties and
values. This is roughly the counterpart of OSM's tags, keys, and values.
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Properties
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:List_of_properties/all_in_one_table

Just like OSM, there is a discussion and process on managing properties,
but their processes are strictly enforceable unlike OSM's process for
"voting" for the approval of tags on the OSM Wiki.
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Properties_for_deletion