[OSM-talk] Adding Wikidata tags to 70k items automatically

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 10:36:30 UTC 2014

On Aug 31, 2014 5:14 PM, "Simon Poole" <simon at osmfoundation.org> wrote:
> Nipping this in the bud: the OSMF and WMF are working together on
> exactly 0 (in words: zero) projects.
>
> Note: this is simply a statement of fact and not an opinion on if the
> OSMF should or should not collaborate more (less not being possible)
> with the WMF.

This is true.

But there are certainly plenty of instances where OSM and Wikimedia
organizations and groups (not OSMF and WMF) have collaborated together.
There's a joint project between Wikimedia Indonesia and HOT Indonesia to
map and create Wikipedia articles in Kalimantan. Wikimedia Italia organized
OSMit 2013, the annual OSM conference for the Italian OSM community.
Wikimedia Suomi (Finland) is collaborating with the OpenHistoricalMap
community. Wikimedia Deutschland has sponsored the multilingual OSM map
project developed by Jochen Topf.

In addition, WMF is certainly using OSM extensively. In fact, WMF currently
has a job opening for a map engineer and one of the requirements is OSM
experience. And OSM is inspired by Wikipedia and uses Wikimedia resources
such as MediaWiki for the OSM Wiki. And we link to Wikipedia and use photos
from Wikimedia Commons as well.