[OSM-talk] Adding Wikidata tags to 70k items automatically

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 14:46:45 UTC 2014

Hi Frederik, great post.

I always thought wikidata tags would be a first step to a new database that
OSM needs, and which would be something like Wikidata is to Wikipedia. A
database that classifies and categorizes elements in OSM. In my opinion a
slightly modified version of Wikibase could be enough. It would have
combinations of tags and areas where that category applies.

If we had a database item in our potential OSM-wikibase that said "all
primary highways with ref 55 in the UK" and then offload the proprietary
identifiers there, I think no one would mind.

Another problem this potential database solves is the often quoted
"relations aren't categories". We could make an item "HSBC ATM machines"
and add a few tags that define an element as a HSBC ATM machine
(amenity=atm + operator=HSBC, or amenity=atm + ref:HSBC=34 or whatever)

Even wikidata tags that we are discussing could be deprecated if we had
such a database. We would have our own identifiers (O3489 instead of
Q23489) and those identifiers would link to wikidata as well as to other
databases.

If we don't make our own database that categorizes our tags and elements,
someone else will do it. In this case, it's Wikidata, which is better then
the rest because it is crowdsourced, it has an open license for it's data,
and it has opensource software for it's database and user interface. So if
I'm not mistaken, we could fork their project if that was needed. But if I
could choose, we would have our own.

Janko Mihelić