[OSM-talk] Omaha World-Herald using OSM without attribution

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Dec 17 17:02:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM, JB <jbosm at mailoo.org> wrote:

> Don't want to start a battle here, but I thought best practises where « ©
> OSM contributors » directly on the map, clearly visible? I don't see
> anything close to that today, even with the big map they have on their site.
> https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx#?ll=46.31658,-1.18652&z=5

Geocaching doesn't follow our recommendations, but they to give
attribution, as Toby pointed out on their about page. Not only that they
give links to start contributing to OSM. That might seem nice, but when you
look at their business practices, it says a lot. They make their money from
paid subscribers. Free subscribers get OSM maps, while paid subscribers get
to choose between OSM and Google. As we continue to build the worlds best
map, more people will decide free is actually a much better bargain.

A few geocachers have attended our meetups, but I think most geocachers are
don't want to make better maps since the whole premise is to hide
something. Nothing worse that a map with a trail that leads directly to the
cache.

BTW - I notice that they use state highway shields, at least in Washington
State. It would be nice to see us add shields to OSM.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us