[OSM-talk] Changeset messaging & Notes feature question

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Dec 31 21:50:01 UTC 2014

On 31/12/14 21:42, Dave F. wrote:
> On 31/12/2014 21:35, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> A rather more user friendly approach is to open the layer switcher and
>> uncheck the notes layer.
>
> Well that does it, but let's be honest, it's hardly "user friendly".  A
> re-click of the notes icon or collapsing of the left pane is clearly
> more intuitive.

Well those disable the add note control, which is logically separate to
the notes layer (you can turn that on without adding a note).

The real confusion comes from the fact that starting to add a note turns
on the note layer - there are good reasons for that but it does rather
complicate the user interface.

The problem with turning off the notes layer again when the add note
control is disabled is that it might already have been on before you
started adding a note, so we would probably have to remember if we had
turned it on or if it was already on .

Trying to figure out what to do if somebody starts toggling the notes
layers on and off manually while the add note control is active just
introduces even more levels of complication...

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/