[OSM-talk] Not attaching polygons to roads

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sun Feb 23 10:24:54 UTC 2014

On 01:36 2014-02-23, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>> Am 23/feb/2014 um 00:44 schrieb Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>:
>>
>> A residential subdivision here will often place a decorative fence or hedge along the road, with a sidewalk in front of it, but the subdivision maintains everything up to the curb, where the pavement ends (and still owns half the land under the pavement). In other words, the subdivision doesn't end at the fence or the sidewalk. Accurately "ungluing" the area from the roadway means mapping the curb.
>

> Is the road publicly owned, generally accessible, or is it private land and the access is or could be regulated on an individual basis if the owner wishes so?

The pavement itself is publicly owned and accessible, as part of an
easement. The landowner still has certain rights, but not the right to
regulate public use of the roadway.

Still, mapping to the centerline in this case does meet the "what you
see on the ground" rule of thumb: when a piece of private property
fronting the road changes ownership, the public notice typically
references the centerline (i.e., lane markings) or a particular spike
embedded somewhere on the roadway.

This is admittedly a very technical distinction, but I think it shows
that joining landuse areas to the centerline is perfectly valid in
certain circumstances.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us