[OSM-talk] Thai font feedback for style updates

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Feb 24 10:18:28 UTC 2014

Right now the main OpenStreetMap.org stylesheet uses Unifont as a
fallback for characters not in the DejaVu font. As Unifont is designed
to support all characters and not to look good, this can lead to ugly
and difficult to read text in parts.

I'm looking at Thai fonts right now and would like some people to evaluate
the difference between the "OpenStreetMap" and "Arundina Sans" layers
on http://tile.paulnorman.ca/demo/fonts.html

Some examples

- Bolded refs: http://tile.paulnorman.ca/demo/fonts.html#16/13.766/100.445
- Some place names, POIs:
http://tile.paulnorman.ca/demo/fonts.html#15/13.82/100.06
- Overview: http://tile.paulnorman.ca/demo/fonts.html#11/13.74/100.46

If you aren't certain you can look at the "No Unifont Fallback" layer
to see if there are boxes - if there are on that layer but not the
"Arundina Sans" layer, then it's using the new fonts.

To clarify, since I got some unrelated responses last time, I'm not
looking for feedback on glyphs in other scripts (e.g. Chinese) with
this test. This test is purely for Thai characters.

Cross-posting to talk@ and OSM Thai forum
(http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=401625)