[OSM-talk] Not attaching polygons to roads

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:27:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
>> 5m,10m... and there is no reason to virtualy extend them and falsify the
>> real world.
> +1

omg. In the "real world", a highway is not a thin polyline...

> Wouldn't it be nice if the editors wouldn't allow polygon to connect to
> highways. I understand that it hard to implement, but when you need to make
> changes to either object, it is a pain.

Think that, in some parts of the world, you don't have high res.
images and you cannot count the amout of lanes or see the shoulders or
the limit between the road and next landuse. Or that the person adding
landuse is working at a "municipality" level, not at a "fence" level.
It was always like this in OSM, the first contributor adds a node for
a townhall, the second draws or import the building footprint and move
the tags from the node to the way, etc. The crowd is not mapping at
the same map scale. Assuming you start to map "fences" and "walls",
you have to adapt the existing data to your level of contributions.
But you shouldn't forbid other contributions if they are not at your
expectations.
Again, it's an iterative concept. New contributions increase the
quality. What is not acceptable is that new contributions decrease the
level of the mapping (excepted in some cases I could develop)

Pieren