[OSM-talk] Not attaching polygons to roads

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Feb 27 08:07:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> On 26/02/2014 01:02, Mike Thompson wrote
> It would be pretty silly to have a municiple boundary splitting the centre
> of a road so different administrations were responsible for maintaining the
> left & the right.

And yet: exactly that is done.

Commonly there's a maintenance arrangement, but I could hop on a bicycle
and in a few moments take a photo of
a street paved in halves for exactly this reason.

Even if legal boundary is one edge of the road the customary boundary is
likely 'the road', and nobody
short of a land surveyor really need care.  Roads in OSM are a funny beast
since they're drawn with zero dimension,
but rendered and processed with width depending on the emphasis of the
result.