[OSM-talk] SRTM Elevation Data

Joel Znamenacek audiofile at outlook.com
Fri Feb 28 01:24:36 UTC 2014

Is all the 1 sec (30m) SRTM data already imported into OSM? I saw some elevation data, but it looks incomplete so I started trying to blend both data sets.

This project is kicking my ass and I need help melding a lat/lon from OSM to SRTM lat/lon. I have both datasets in SQL Server and trying to join them together is the pain point. The pain is either in long query times and/or not accurate enough lookups. I'm finding SQL Server 2012 spatial is slow (it uses .NET). The scope of the project is just the USA data.

My server system is:
overclocked and water-cooled i7 3930k (4.1GHZ) 6 cores (plus 6 "Hyperthreads")
32 GB RAM
1.6GB/s disk IO subsystem and 1/2 TB of space. Speed is as indicated by SQL Server performance monitor. (This can go higher w/more HW RAID controllers that I already have)
SQL Server Enterprise
Windows Server 2012 Enterprise

Ideas from a 30,000' view on how to do this are appreciated (granular views are just as good :) ).

Joel