[OSM-talk] Drop rendering of permissive access?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 14:38:29 UTC 2014

> Perhaps we don't have to go so far. I would suggest a compromise :
> render differently "open access for the public" (access=yes or absence
> of tag), "forbidden access for the public" (access=no or
> access=private) and "conditional access, whatever it is" (destination,
> permissive, forestry, type of vehicle, etc).

I believe that this is not possible to do consistently with current actual
tagging (if "the public" isn't just cars) (and available tags in rendering
db): we don't have needed subtags available in the db (like vehicle,
motor_vehicle, motorcycle), albeit a plethora of relevant tags does indeed
get imported: foot, bicycle, horse, motorcar, access (based on this style
sheet, not sure if it is the actual one:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/blob/master/default.style ). And
there are still many instances of access=no, bicycle=yes, foot=yes, etc.
where a motor_vehicle=no/private/destination would be more appropriate.

As a sidenote, I won't see "permissive" as conditional access, as this
should make no difference to the user compared to "yes" for practical
reasons.

cheers,
Martin