[OSM-talk] The biggest violation of OpenStreetMap, ever.

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 09:39:10 UTC 2014

> Cristian Consonni writes:
>
>> The agency has copied only some data (buildings and landuse [parks,
>> rivers, lakes, etc.]) and they superimposed the road graph taken from
>> another source, probably proprietary data.
>

> So you talk about a produced work in the terms of the ODbL. As their
> features are not derived from OSM data. Having the streets intersect with
> the OSM building clearly shows that they did not derive.
>
> So the only thing missing is a proper attribution.
>
> Is this maybe only a (unfinished) test server yet? wwwt sounds a bit like
> it. And a lot of links lead to non-existing pages.
>
> Sounds a bit over-reacting to me. Have you tried to contact them already?

As said above, we contacted them 3 times over the last 3 months,
asking for proper attribution.
We sent legally-valid emails (in Italy we have this "certified e-mail"
[PEC, posta elettronica certificata] whose sending is legally
recognized (as for the paper registered mail)).
We received no answer whatsoever.

This server is online since 4 years and it was praised in the press:
«The base of GeoPoi [the name of the service] is vector graphics that
nobody, not even Google Maps [...] can pride of»[*] (sic et simpliciter)
(we found this article just now)

For the sake of completeness, we know that they updated the data from
OSM in the system at the end of June, i.e. a couple of weeks ago.
Before the data they had were from somewhere at the end of September
2013. So well after we notified them privately of the violation, and
asked for proper attribution and they did anything to add that simple
little line that is required.

Cristian

[*] La base di GeoPoi è la cartografia vettoriale che nessuno, neanche
Google Maps [...], può vantare.
http://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/tecnologie/2010-10-21/tutta-italia-georeferenziata-064638.shtml?uuid=AYbmPLcC