[OSM-talk] The biggest violation of OpenStreetMap, ever.

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Mon Jul 14 22:52:57 UTC 2014

Using the importance=* tag did not really help much, so I switched to the
same approach I've used in higher zoom to "fill" empty areas with place
names.
Basically, there is one layer with names I absolutely want (capitals), then
the other stuff (markers, icons, names) are placed, then a final layer of
"filling" is done with a relatively high text-min-distance value to adjust
the density.

I've also added a test on the number of tags on the place=* node. Only the
ones with at least 20 tags are selected.

New-York is now there, along with LA, San-Francisco and San Jose, San
Diego, Seattle, Las Vegas... and Zurich too ;)

I still consider this as a hack to temporarily solve a tagging/data related
problem.
It is better for zoom 5, not tuned yet for zoom 6.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France