[OSM-talk] Wiki translate extension

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Thu Jul 24 18:22:39 UTC 2014

> As for improving translation tasks on OSM wiki, how would you feel about
> the Mediawiki Translate extension ?

I'm against any kind of automatic translation tool, which will just
cause more errors. When I look up a word I'm usually at least presented
with more than one translation.

Also this seems geared towards 1:1 translations, which in the
OpenStreetMap Wiki often isn't the reality, because some things are
different from country to country. Or for example usefull combinations
or "see also" might be different. Some pages might even be very country
specific and a short summary for other languages might be enough as long
as there is a English documentation. Also warnings like "Do not confuse
with xyz" might only make sense in one language.

What we really need is people actually editing the Wiki in the first
place and in my opinion the best way to get people to do so would be a
better editor: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor