[OSM-talk] Wiki translate extension

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Fri Jul 25 03:35:53 UTC 2014

> If there is country specific information about a tag then I would like
> to be aware of it, as it could be useful for other countries/languages too.

And if I open a DE:feature I would like to be presentet with the
information relevant to my country in the first place.

If I open DE:bicycle_something then I don't want to be presented with
various signs that are used in the US, South Africa, Japan or Mexico. I
want to see the sign that I saw on the ground in Germany and then how to
tag it.

So I want to see these signs:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cycling_signs_in_Germany

And not these:
http://www.trafficsign.us/bikesign.html

If you want country relevant information on every translation then you
do have to look though a dozen different signs 99.99% of the people
reading that page are never goingto use. And those are sign that are
easy to spot. Now make that text...

> That could be as simple as copying it to the English language page (marking it as requiring translation) or if it's longer providing a link on the English language page.

You are still going to present me with a lot of information that is not
usefull for my country. And it will get worse once you try to translate
non-English pages back. From German to Englisch you are then going to
get funny stuff like [PLEASE DON'T CONFUSE evangelical with evangelical!!!]