[OSM-talk] Purpose of the slippy map (wasUpcoming openstreetmap-carto changes)

yvecai yvecai at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 19:16:00 UTC 2014

I think it will be time-concuming to find a particular topic about this
subject. However, I have the feeling that Tom's claim about what is the
slippy map being for mappers more than for users is deeply anchored in
the community.
I think others can back up this.

IMO, the fact that the map isn't considered particularly 'nice' or is
looking a bit 'special' for everyday purpose is probably the best
argument. Another one can be the presence of Mapquest Open tiles on the
front page too.

That being said, I would be pleased to see the current slippy map style
evolve in parallel as an *alternate*, general-purpose map style like
Gmap or Mapquest Open community-driven like openstreetmap-carto these days.

Yves