[OSM-talk] Using Notes in France

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Wed Jul 30 20:06:29 UTC 2014

Þann 30.7.2014 19:50, skrifaði SomeoneElse:
> On 30/07/2014 15:08, colliar wrote:
>> Am 30.07.2014 15:58, schrieb Glenn Plas:
>>>
>>> So he's asking if you know the names of the missing street.
>> and closing the note.
>>
>> Therefor you need to have a login to reopen in order to be able to
>> comment and it will disappear after one week.
>>
>> Not the best way to get an answer.
>>

> ... which is exactly the problem here - closing notes in this way just
> seems downright rude.  I'm sure that it's done with the best of intentions
I think this might be an important point, I myself who have not accessed
the OSM-tools the French have which show all missing names etc (I use
similar tools for Iceland granted) and am unaware of all the OSM-related
datasets and procedures found this to be a tad rude to close it thus.

But I completely understand the viewpoint of JB who looks at all the
tools he has bookmarked. However he might consider that others do not
have those bookmarks, do not have all that information, procedures,
know-how and it is them that contribute to Notes, both by opening and
commenting and resolving them.

I've had random people close Notes I created because they happened to be
there or knew the place or contributed via remote mapping (like when I
say "continue this road" or "continue this river").

We need to have faith in the good intentions of others, my Note was made
in sincerity since I noticed adjacent streets had names, others
contribute Notes in that same good faith. Whether or not there are other
tools available that make some of the Notes surplus to requirements is
besides the point there in my mind.

--Jói