[OSM-talk] Worldwide non-surveyed tag edits

John Baker rovastar at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 23:20:36 UTC 2014

> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:28:06 +0200
> From: roland.olbricht at gmx.de
> To: rovastar at hotmail.com; talk at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Worldwide non-surveyed tag edits

> I'm glad that you got into discussion.

No problem.

>Just some examples:
>
> We have streets with housenumbers 3, 5, 9, 7, 11, 13
> Is it an obvious mistake? It's on purpose, because the housenumbers
> sometimes are in that order on the ground.
>
> We have in Germany cities with a street named "Cäcilienstraße" and
> others with a street named "Cecilienstraße" (both with exactly the same
> pronounciation, and both variants of the same surname).

I am not sure how these examples apply to the cases I mentioned. Names are especially problematic and truly need some time and effort.
Luckily for most cases we have established tag values so it is not as open as that names. I know we can can tag anything but often there are established tags that are suitable.

> On the other hand, a mechanical change of data can be performed as easy
> during postprocessing than in the database. This is known in programming
> in "don't store an information when it is easier to recompute it".

I see that but the key thing is has to be easier to do.

Currently it would be very difficult to do.

Lets pick 1 simple established tag and value combination.

highway = residential
this denotes a residential road.
How many possible misspellings would you say there are for this that you would consider a typo/mistake?

Design an architecture where you postprocess every possible obvious misspelling (commercial speelchecker might miss some maybe you could write a new one) will I hope you agree adding an unnecessary overhead. Now multiple that by the thousands of popular established tag and value combinations and any modern computer solution become unfeasible.

I trust you understand this.

So a solution to is the old school way would be fixing the data which I could call "Garbage In, Garbage Out" maybe not as fashionable as postprocessing but often the best solution.

Now we do this by hand ourselves fixing the tags as we see them. If you suddenly saw your local road that was highway = residentail say disappeared from the rendering on openstreetmap.org and someone had changed it by mistake to highway = residentail you probably would correct this. However if that happened across town you might not notice at all.

Often cleaning the data you don't need to walk down the road or check from aerial imagery.

> You may earn real fame if you have a good filtering ruleset that
> flatirons all suspect data. If you publish this as a postprocessing
> script, it is useful. If you apply that to flatiron the database, in 99%
> justified cases and 1% on otherwise on purpose crafted data, then you
> will earn shame instead, because that same script could be perceived as
> doing vandalism.

Not really interested in the fame of it but if I did manage to create a solution to the problem I stated above I will let you know, I'll let you share the fame with me.

There is a balance here the 99% vs 1%. Some would say that even if has 99.9999% it is not good enough and that just a single mistake would not make it worth it but for most it is about a balance.

Some of us want to fix this bad data and one way is doing these "mechanical edits" others are happy to leave the bad data as it is.

I am hoping there is a desire to reach a balance but it is unlikely.