[OSM-talk] Organizational mapping policy

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jun 17 21:03:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 05/14/2014 01:44 AM, Paul Norman wrote:
> Some possible guideline requirements could involve
>
> - Disclosing those who are directing them (e.g. employers or who they
>   are contracting for) on the users page

Effective yesterday, Wikimedia have added the following to their terms
of use:

"... you must disclose your employer, client, and affiliation with
respect to any contribution for which you receive, or expect to receive,
compensation."

Full text on
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_letter_on_paid_contributions_without_disclosure

They essentially draw two lines that determine when disclosure is required:

1. you have to (expect to) receive compensation
2. for a specific contribution.

People who require money for general contribution - e.g. a university
employee who, as part of their contract, edits Wikipedia in his or her
field of knowledge, does not need to disclose that; only if they are
specifically asked to do something.

It is a bit unclear to me how such a distinction would work in OSM (or
even how it is supposed to work in Wikipedia) but we can just sit back
and watch how that policy plays out.

Bye
Frederik