[OSM-talk] [Talk-GB] Fwd: Adding links to Wikidata (and Wikipedia?)

Andrew Guertin andrew.guertin at uvm.edu
Tue Jun 17 21:57:20 UTC 2014

On 06/17/2014 04:10 PM, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> [...] My understanding is that the
> script would look for objects in wikidata that have a location
> (lat/longitude) and some wikidata tags that help us to identify the object
> (e.g. that it's a church and it's name is "St Nicolas's"). The script would
> then look for a similar object in OSM assessed according to the
> lat/longitude in OSM and other OSM tags (name=St Nicolas's, and
> amenity=place_of_worship). It would then flag the match for a human to
> check, or if accepted, automatically add the wikidata tag if the level of
> certainty matches some threshold.
>
> [...]
>
>     - What are the risks of introducing bad data and how can we
>     reduce/eliminate this?

I don't think this should ever be done without a human check, because
there are often several related objects with similar names near each other.

To continue your example, there could be "St Nicolas's", "St Nicolas's
Church Gardens", and "St Nicolas's Gift Shop" all near each other. Which
one should the wikipedia page "St Nicolas's Church" match?

Now what if only the gardens exist in OSM because someone imported
gardens in the area but no one has mapped the church yet?

In my opinion, the risks of doing this automatically are just too high.

I'd be very happy to see a tool to do it *with* human checks, though.

--Andrew