[OSM-talk] Additions from VMAP0 databases

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Sun Jun 29 17:56:20 UTC 2014

On 06/29/2014 07:26 PM, Geoff McLane wrote:
> I recently noticed that quite a number of roads and
> creeks available in VMAP0 are NOT in OSM!
>
> Is there any reason why VMAP0, which I understand is
> public domain data, can not be added to OSM?

Because VMAP0 data is so bad that it is mostly comical. It was better
than nothing when there really was nothing, but nowadays I believe that
Openstreetmap is better off without it. I have often deleted
non-existing roads in West Africa and the ones that exist have what we
could charitably call 'regional level' precision.

> Initially this would be around YGIL, NSW, Australia,
> since this is my old home town, so I know the roads
> very well...

If you know the roads very well, you can do better than VMAP0 in a
couple of hours with JOSM and some orbital imagery.