[OSM-talk] Drop rendering of permissive access?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Jun 30 23:56:01 UTC 2014

On 30/06/2014 22:23, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> We are currently considering dropping the rendering of
> access=permissive (currently rendered as green dashes) from
> openstreetmap-carto, the main map on opensteetmap.org
> <http://opensteetmap.org>.

What would be useful would be some comments from the authors of these
changes about what they think the "standard map" is actually _for_.
Previously the story was that it was "for mappers", but that seems to be
no longer the case.

I've seen very little written justification for this series of changes.
The nearest on the previous change
(https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/542) was "but
I've seen a few "abandoned" railway lines being rendered diagonally
across well mapped housing estates, and it looks terrible." - which is
no justification at all; you could use a similar argument in favour of
not rendering natural=beach because people use it on golf courses.

That's not to say that you _couldn't_ make an argument in favour of the
"standard" style becoming an "Open Mapquest Lite" - for map consumers
rather than for map makers - but something needs to replace it, so that
new mappers can see the results of their efforts.  Or maybe mappers are
no longer such a rare resource that we don't need to encourage them any
more?

Cheers,

Andy