[OSM-talk] Tile refresh on openstreetmap.org

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Sun Mar 2 01:28:04 UTC 2014

On 28 February 2014 15:26, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> On 28/02/14 15:05, Christoph Hormann wrote:

>> I have the impression the rerendering of tiles on openstreetmap.org is
>> very slow at the moment - according to /status various z=11 tiles are
>> from January 11.  Also /dirty no more seems to work (at least not on
>> the lower zoom levels).

>> Has there been a change in configuration recently that caused this?
>
> There have been several stylesheet updates in the last week so the servers
> are very busy and are likely to serve old tiles if they are too busy to
> rerender them.

The stylesheets have seen a lot of development effort recently: both
the number of new bugs and features suggested and the number of new
users in the repository have increased a lot. It can therefore be
expected that we will keep seeing regular stylesheet updates in the
future. Would there be a way to avoid large rendering queues with
every update? Rolling out the stylesheets region by region might solve
this problem, but that would probably be nearly impossible to set up
and maintain. I don't really see how we can avoid this problem, but
perhaps anyone else has an idea?

-- Matthijs