[OSM-talk] No Changeset Comments from iD

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 21:36:29 UTC 2014

Here, let's have some numbers. As of the last changeset dump (Feb. 28th)

iD:
total changesets: 1,744,610
changesets with a comment: 745,774
43% comment rate

Potlatch2:
total changesets:  3,594,415
changesets with comment: 1,971,298
54% comment rate

JOSM:
total changesets: 10,289,418
changesets with comment: 96,28,498
93% comment rate

iD certainly gives you the opportunity to enter a comment but is probably
the least obvious about it. P2 pops up a dialog box asking for a message
but doesn't complain if you don't put one in. And of course JOSM gets
rather angry with you if you don't put in a sufficiently long comment.

What these numbers don't show is how many comments are useless repeated
"fixed problems" ones. JOSM auto-fills the comment with whatever you used
last time. And actually I believe iD does as well.

Interestingly, P2 would have had a 57% comment rate but over 88,000 of its
changesets have a comment tag that has a blank value. iD has 22,000 of
these as well. JOSM only has 81.

Toby