[OSM-talk] No Changeset Comments from iD

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Mar 6 23:55:34 UTC 2014

Toby, this is great data. Thanks.
On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here, let's have some numbers. As of the last changeset dump (Feb. 28th)
>
> iD:
> total changesets: 1,744,610
> changesets with a comment: 745,774
> 43% comment rate

What got me first was the number of first time mappers in the US not
entering a changeset. (Commit message in iD)

> iD certainly gives you the opportunity to enter a comment but is probably
> the least obvious about it. P2 pops up a dialog box asking for a message
> but doesn't complain if you don't put one in. And of course JOSM gets
> rather angry with you if you don't put in a sufficiently long comment.
>
> What these numbers don't show is how many comments are useless repeated
> "fixed problems" ones. JOSM auto-fills the comment with whatever you used
> last time. And actually I believe iD does as well.

I'm guilty of that myself.

I especially feel it is important to have a changeset comment from new
users. It help figure out what they think they were doing vs. what they
actually did.

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us