[OSM-talk] Key:layer update

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Mar 11 14:52:02 UTC 2014

> <mailto:davefox at madasafish.com>>:
>
>         it says which object is above and which below when they cross,
>         it is not only for rendering

I agree it does say which object is above another. For the benefit of
the renderer. Who else needs that data? Certainly not routers.

>         For instance if you had an area tagged 'park' & another area
>         within it tagged 'lake' you could add a 'layer' tag to 'lake'
>         to ensure the render displayed it.
>
>     -1, you should not add any layer in this case (tagging for the
>     renderer)
>

>     The correct expression is 'don't tag incorrectly for the
>     renderer'. There's /nothing/ wrong in making OSM data clearer &
>     more accurate.
>

> +1, but adding a layer=1 to a lake in a park isn't clearer or more
> accurate, they are both on the same layer, the lake is in the park,
> not above (usually).

Which confirms my point perfectly. You're are correct: The lake & park
/are/ at the same level, which is why the layer tag is needed. It's used
purely to let the renderer know which entity to put on top of the pile
show it display properly.

Dave F.

---