[OSM-talk] Key:layer update

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Mar 13 09:22:41 UTC 2014

On 13.03.2014 00:28, Frank Little wrote:
> Tobias Knerr wrote:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/default_layer_for_bridge_and_tunnel

[...]
> This is however not the "implicit layer tags" argument which Richard Z.
> gives, which he suggests means:. "so every tunnel and bridge should now
> have one".

That's exactly what was discussed back then. Yes, a mapper who is
generally critical of mechanical edits additionally pointed out that
such edits might result from a successful vote, but that doesn't change
the proposal itself.

> We model bridges and tunnels in a specific way in OSM which
> means we do not need to add additional layer tags (but feel free if you
> do want to).

Well, according to the result of the vote, properly mapped
bridge/tunnels do need layer tags, and that's what the Key:layer page
should document today.

I don't see a reason to start the discussion again (especially in this
thread), but should you manage to gather broad support for changing the
definition, then the Key:layer page may eventually reflect that.

> I have always understood that we do not use a layer tag for
> road/waterway crossings, as osm help also suggests here:
> https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/3049/how-to-correct-waterways-intersecting-roads-without-a-junction-node

That's not what is being suggested here. The option b) in the question
was to just add layer=-1 to large sections of a waterway without
surveying what actually happens in those places. Which is clearly not a
good solution.